Thursday, February 12, 2009

Amanda and Chris Collucci wrote themselves a check for $24 million – and all of Canada knows it!

On September 13, 2006 Amanda Yeung-Collucci called me to discuss our House Cleaning Biz 101 program. She was an IBM sales executive in Toronto, Ontario and had a burning desire to start her own business. She had looked at various franchises and business opportunities but was intrigued with the potential in the residential cleaning industry. She purchased the House Cleaning Biz 101 program that very day and launched Clean4Me in Markham, Ontario in February of 2007. Starting with zero clients and no staff, Amanda grew her business to $26,000 per month in just a year and a half.

Late last fall her husband Chris quit his IT job and joined her full time at Clean4Me. This husband and wife partnership is destined for great things and virtually shrugs off the recession. Amanda recently wrote, “I really love the concept of the cleaning business – whether the economy is good or bad, houses still get dirty and they need to get cleaned. I have never heard of anyone who would not shower because he/she lost their job (some people maybe…who knows! :-)). The cleaning industry is one of the most recession resilient businesses and I love running it every day!”

So, what’s with this $24 million check?

Their success has not gone unnoticed in the Toronto market. In fact, it now has not gone unnoticed in the entire country of Canada! Last Saturday, February 7, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) featured the Collucci’s and Clean4Me on its popular weekly business show called FORTUNE HUNTERS. There, in front of a national television audience, the Collucci’s shared their plan to see Clean4Me signs and vehicles in Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Philippines and other eastern count
ries, as well as throughout Canada. (Amanda emigrated from Hong Kong several years ago, after which she met and married Chris.)


Perhaps stealing a page from Jim Carrey’s book (another Canadian who wrote himself a $20 million check as a motivation to launch his show business career), the Collucci’s have written themselves a check for $24 million. Amanda proudly pointed out the check hanging on the wall of her office to the viewers of FORTUNE HUNTERS last Saturday night. What great PR for their business.


This has resulted in two immediate benefits for their business.

  1. It has been a huge morale booster for Clean4Me’s employees. The show featured some of their employees cleaning clients’ homes. Imagine their pride in seeing their company and themselves on national television!
  2. It has attracted a lot of interest from prospective clients – not only in her market, but from across Canada wanting to know when a franchise might open in their area so they could hire a Clean4Me clone to look after their home cleaning needs!

This did not happen by accident.

I should add that this great PR did not happen by accident. I have had the privilege of personally mentoring Amanda for the past two years. We spoke about the potential impact of creating and engaging in Public Relations opportunities. I had shared my experience over 30 years ago of what happened when an article appeared in SUCCESS UNLMITED magazine about my TIDY CAR business. In my case, it resulted in an explosion in franchise sales throughout the United States and many foreign countries. I must say that Amanda is a great apprentice and soaks up advice and ideas like a sponge.

You, too, should look for PR opportunities in your area. You’re probably not considering franchising your business – I can tell you that this is a very expensive proposition and certainly not the only way to expand your operation. But business editors are always on the lookout for interesting business stories to share with their readers. Perhaps you’re part of the Cleaning for a Reason team of owners across the country providing free house cleaning to women with cancer. Or you might submit articles about the industry, such as what to look for when considering hiring a residential cleaning service. It might even involve “tips” of interest in how to clean certain things in the home. It could be an announcement honoring one of your employees for exceptional performance. The list goes on – GET CREATIVE.

Getting publicity from the media can take some time and be hit and miss. However, it is well worth the time and effort and if and when you succeed, WOW!

Visualization and affirmation is a great antidote for media doom and gloom.

Some people might scoff over the $24 million check the Collucci’s wrote themselves. And I’m more than certain that Jim Carrey’s friends and acquaintances snickered at the $20 million check he wrote himself before he “arrived” on the scene.

When I was a young man in my late teens and just starting to work, I used to visit car dealership showrooms and look at and sit in luxury automobiles. I’d take home glossy brochures of my favorite models and hang up photographs on the wall of my room and the door of my refrigerator. Friends chuckled, especially since my job at the time was selling vacuum cleaners door to door. But before my 21st birthday I bought a brand new Ford Galaxy X
L convertible. But I had always dreamed of owning a Cadillac convertible. So I focused on collecting Cadillac brochures and when I had a bad day or week with poor sales, I’d study the pictures and descriptions – and renew my determination to persevere. Guess what? I bought myself a brand new 1965 Cadillac Deville convertible for my 23rd birthday!

I don’t know if the Collucci’s will ever be able to cash a check for $24 million. But, hey, if they miss the mark by $15 - $20 million …. I would say this visualization and affirmation worked pretty darn good. Wouldn’t you?

2 comments:

  1. This is GREAT! Congratulations Amanda and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I saw them on TV Last saturday. Thts great it got me so excited about my cleaning business too
    Way to go Amanda

    ReplyDelete